Neurogenesis is the growth of new neurons, and connections between existing neurons in the brain. There are several things we can do to increase neurogenesis. This list isn’t complete, but is a good place to start. I’ll be adding links and references soon.
- AEROBIC EXERCISE. Any exercise you do that gets you huffing and puffing will support neurogenesis. Interestingly, sprinting is best for autophagy, but aerobic exercise is needed for neurogenesis.
- BRAIN-HEALTHY FATS (such as DHA and EPA from fish and krill oil)
- MAGNESIUM THREONATE (taken along with vitamins D3 and K2
- Taking VITAMIN B12
- Taking LOW DOSE LITHIUM along with proline-rich polypeptides from colostrum
- Eating BLUEBERRIES
- Drinking GREEN TEA
- Cooking with TURMERIC, or taking Turmeric/curcumin supplements
- The evidence about COFFEE is contradictory. Coffee has numerous health benefits. Caffeine itself has been shown in recent studies to dampen or stop neurogenesis. The more you drink, the more neurogenesis is dampened.