There are actually several different FMDs. The original was developed by Dr. Valter Longo, a professor of gerontology and biological sciences and Director of the Longevity Institute at the University of Southern California. Spinning off of his ideas, some people have developed alternative versions. To be clear, Longo does not endorse any of them. The only one he endorses is the one which is sold by ProLon.
ALL FASTING MIMICKING DIETS ARE:
- HIGH IN FAT
- LOW IN CARBS
- EXTREMELY LOW IN PROTEIN
THERE ARE MANY VERSIONS OF THE FMD ONLINE. HERE IS MY CURRENT VERSION:
- LIMIT PROTEIN to 15 grams/day. (Eating MORE than 15 grams shuts down autophagy) ( I usually end up eating 5 to 10 grams a day, but sometimes go up to 15.)
- LIMIT NET CARBOHYDRATES to 50 grams/day. (I usually end up eating about 30 grams/day) This version let you eat things like broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, celery, pickles, iceberg lettuce, sauerkraut, and other low carb, almost zero-protein foods. You have to watch your macros carefully. Some foods, like romaine lettuce, are too high in carbs.
- EAT AS MUCH FAT AS YOU WANT. (For example, you might eat an avocado or two… put some heavy cream in your coffee… or put some butter, coconut oil or MCT oil in your coffee.) (Avoid unhealthy and inflammatory fats like vegetable oils.) (Don’t deliberately overdose on fat, just eat a little fat when you’re hungry.) (And be sure to use healthy fats, not corn oil or soy oil or other poor quality oils.)
WHAT TO EAT ON THIS VERSION:
BREAKFAST might be a cup of coffee with a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream. (The cream in it is the real “breakfast.”) LUNCH might be some cauliflower and broccoli sauteed in butter, with mushrooms on the side. If you want a snack, have some celery and cream cheese. Eat within a 12 hour maximum time window. (If you start eating at 9 a.m, take your last bite by 9 p.m.)
WHAT TO DRINK ON THIS VERSION
- SPARKLING WATER (unflavored and unsweetened)
- COFFEE (with or without cream)
- GREEN TEA
- MINT TEA
- CITRUS BERGAMOT TEA
- ALOE VERA JUICE (inner leaf only; the outer leaf is toxic)
- ALOE VERA GEL (inner leaf only; the outer leaf is toxix)
You don’t have to avoid all animal foods while on it, but you DO have to avoid animal protein.
To make the diet even more ketogenic, you could cut the carbs down to 20 or 30 grams/day, and up the fat levels if you feel the need for more calories.
REMINDER: The FMD is NOT a diet you can follow for the rest of your life.
- It’s a TEMPORARY diet designed to promote HEALTH AND LONGEVITY.
- By limiting PROTEIN, it promotes AUTOPHAGY (deep cleaning of body cells) and APOPTOSIS (getting rid of senescent cells).
- Some people do a fasting mimicking diet once a month. Others, once every three months. If you did it full time, you would not be getting enough protein to live on, and would die.