NILS OSMAR, INSTRUCTOR
I started teaching way back in 1979.
In those days, I was working as a comic book illustrator, and also doing some painting. So I started out teaching classes in drawing and painting, cartooning and comic book illustration. I added other classes as the years went by.
As the years passed, I became involved in acting, writing and directing stage plays, then writing and directing movies, and added classes in those topics.
My classes and workshops are co-sponsored by Rekindle School and the Seattle Experimental College. Most of them meet on the University of Washington campus, but some meet in community centers around Seattle. For a list of my upcoming classes, please scroll down.
- DRAWING FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS – SATURDAY CLASS
Anyone can draw! Learn how in this fun four-week workshop.
- LEARN TO DRAW IN A DAY
A one-day version of the “Drawing for Absolute Beginners” class
- HOW TO DRAW PEOPLE
In this class, you’ll learn an easy method of drawing the human body, including faces, figures, hands and feet.
- DRAWING IN PERSPECTIVE
Perspective is meant to make drawing easier, not harder. You’ll learn secrets of one, two and three point perspective in this class.
- DRAWING IN PEN, BRUSH AND INK
How to draw striking high-contrast images in jet-black india ink
- ACRYLIC PAINTING FOR BEGINNERS: Acrylics are fun! Learn how to mix and blend colors, and paint simple landscapes in this four-week introductory class.
- CARTOONING 101: A fun, four week introduction to drawing humorous cartoon characters
- DRAWING COMICS and GRAPHIC NOVELS: How to draw comic books, lay out pages, and tell stories visually
- ACTING – classes and workshops in Seattle:
- ACTING 101: SUNDAY CLASS
- ACTING 102: INTERMEDIATE ACTING
- ACTING WITH EMOTION: In this class we’ll explore emotions, and levels of expressing them in scenes.
- ACTING FOR THE CAMERA: Learn the difference between stage and camera acting, and get practice in both.
- LET’S MAKE A MOVIE: In this class we’ll make a short independent movie. A great way for actors to get material for their reels.
- AUDITIONING 101: Learn where to find auditions, how to know your “type,” and how to have the best chance of landing a role.
- WRITING FICTION AND SHORT STORIES
- SCREENWRITING 101
- WRITING SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY